From Townhouse to Solicitors' Offices

The elegant sandstone building coming into Ponteland from the east which is now occupied by Nicholson and Morgan, a firm of solicitors, was once a private house. It was built sometime between 1842 and 1858, around the same time as its neighbouring brick building Ash House but there is some indication that this building may be slightly later in date than Ash House.
The original footprint of the building on the 1859 and 1895 Ordnance Survey Maps show the building a little set-back from the road. The subsequent map on 1913 shows a different footprint indicating that there was a remodeling of the building carried out between 1895 and 1913 almost doubling it in size, splitting it into two houses and giving a frontage that extends out further than the neighbouring Ash House.
It was in 1982 that it received planning permission for its current use and the building was converted into offices. These remodelings have left the building with a somewhat irregular pattern of window openings but if anything, this adds to its overall charm.